Wednesday, October 12, 2011

News Flash: Mama Bear Attacks Dentist...........

I'll admit, I don't know much about dentistry.

But when my gut tells me something is wrong, I listen to it.

1 1/2 years ago my daughter had to have her front 2 teeth capped because of severe decay.

Paid $423 (and that was the co-pay!) to have this work done.

I was reassured that as a result the only thing I would have to deal with concerning those 2 teeth is them falling out; because the CAP would've prevented any infections, etc from getting inside.

Fast forward to the present.

My husband switch companies (not careers) and as a result our dental insurance changed.

Although we could no longer take our daughter to her former dentist, we found another children's dentist 10 minutes away.

I take her for her check up at her current dentist and they order x-rays; just to get a clear view of her teeth.

Do you know they said that she has a mild infection UNDER the caps she got?

Of coarse, I'm like "WHAT?!

Isn't the point of her tooth having all of the decay drilled off and then capped, was to prevent future infections and such until those teeth fall out?

So they are saying they want to REMOVE the 2 caps her original dentist put in and have her go toothless in the front until her adult teeth come through.

This will have to happen via oral surgery!

.....uh huh, Oral Surgery!

On a 5 year old............

Needless to say, I called her original dentist, made an appointment for THIS Friday, and this mama bear is going to have a chat with them.

I am not a happy camper right now.

This is my 5 year old daughter here..........

How in the world a cavity AND infection get under a tooth she was supposedly have had fixed, treated, and capped and I was told it should be fine until it falls out?

She brushes, flosses and uses mouthwash...........

Either the dentist didn't do a good job or is terrible at his job.

Regardless, this will get resolved and out of their pockets too.

I promise not to go in that office with my ugly face on..........

.............. but I will have it in my purse if I need it.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry about all of that! What a hassle. And she's only 5!

Anonymous said...

Im not that far from you and I do real ugly when it comes to kids so if you need backup you call me and we will both go. And I have a BIG pocketbook!

Judy

Jenny said...

That stinks! However, if the dude messed up the first time, I wouldn't let him have another chance. ALWAYS get a second or third opinion!

UhOh! Here We Go said...

Your poor little girl =(

I have actually heard of parents saying "oh let them rot, they're just baby teeth!" without understanding that rotting now; can cause problems with adult teeth.

So I was super happy to hear that you, as a mother, want the best for your child/children and will even go as far as getting them crowns to stop the problem. More parents need to be like you guys!!

I hope the first dentist fixes the issue and either does it for free or giving some of your money back. If he promised it would solve the problem, then he didn't do it right. If he had said "this might work..." I could see it not being an issue and just being trial and error but he sounds pretty sure of himself!! Good thing you got the second dentist!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this happened to my son, I wasn't given the option of capping, just to have the two front teeth removed, he was about 4/5. I got his teeth removed and he was toothless for 3years. He will need braces but at least no infections.
Mrs C.

~Carla~ said...

Ugh! :( Hope you're able to get this resolved... Let us know what happens! Good luck!